Thursday 18 April 2013

Assistant Animator Module: Basket Weaving


On the list of things Nicola and Lily asked us to do were wicker baskets, I volunteered to make these, I wanted to have a go and see what I could make and have had a little experience weaving before. I started off with the base, which I made from super sculpy and poked holes around the edges that would hold the upright wire:


I then used super glue to stick in all the pieces of wire, which I had measured to all roughly the same length:


Then the weaving; using raffia I weaved in and out of the wire and slowly built it up, until I got about half way up the wire, this proved difficult on the shorter one (in the end i just went to whole way up and didnt do the next bit), then I bent the top of the wire inwards and to the side, hooking each one under the one before it, in this way each piece of wire is held down by another.


I wanted to give this method another go but with thinner wire to see if it would work better and see if it would finishing the top easier.


In fact it made the weaving process a bit harder as the wire bent and moved out of place very easily so it was hard to get the raffia tight but finishing was a little easier.







No comments:

Post a Comment